No One Wants to Hear They’re Wrong
I was having a conversation this morning with my son, and he said something that struck me hard. We were talking about helping someone do things a bit differently for their own good, and he said, “No one wants to hear they are doing it wrong.” People do indeed close down and move into defense mode when they are criticized. How do we point out a problem, if that very act will simply cause them to dig in deeper?
It seems like there is a lot of rib-poking during conferences where wives and husbands, parents and even children and siblings seem to hope that they are listening so that they will change. Sometimes we do this because it’s easier than facing our own issues, which can be hard to see clearly in ourselves. We too are part of the group that doesn’t like to hear that we are doing it wrong.
How do we apply teachings to ourselves, to see where we need to change without being nagged by thoughts of failure?
What do we do when we want to help someone else overcome a problem?
The Entire Series
- Forum – Is Mental Illness a Latter Day Plague?
- Resources (research)
- Resources for Help with Mental Illness by Paul
- Understanding PTSD by Robin Grosland
- Anxiety Disorders, Including PTSD (research)
- The Diagnosis by anonymous
- Understanding Asperger’s by Kathy Ward
- Understanding Dementia by Cassandra Jones
- Different Issues for Children (research)
- Asperger’s and Autism (research)
- Simply Depression by Jendoop
- How to Help Someone Who is Depressed: an LDS perspective by Sarah Hancock
- Forum – Does Committing Suicide Consign Someone to Hell?
- The Well of Depression by Cheryl
- Panic, OCD, Grandma and Me by NotMolly
- Understanding Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia, and OCD by Robison Wells
- Free at Last by anonymous
- Forum – No One Wants to Hear They’re Wrong
- Understanding P0rnography Addiction by Dr. Kevin Skinner
- What is Real? Living Without Diagnosis by anonymous
- A Reader’s Story of Hope by anonymous
- Understanding Bipolar II Disorder by Tresa Edmunds (Reese Dixon)
- What is Bipolar Disorder? (research)
- Choosing Treatment through Revelation by Bonnie
- Overcoming Anxiety and Depression Without Medication by Aaron Anderson
- How Do We Embrace Those with Mental Illness by Jendoop
- What is Schizophrenia? (research)
- Understanding Schizophrenia by Judy Hall
- Understanding a Roommate with Schizophrenia by anonymous
- Understanding Borderline Personality Disorder by Melissa Horsley
- My Path Down the Rabbit Hole by anonymous
- Mental Illness FHE Lesson by Jendoop
- Healing by Michelle