How Do We Embrace Those with Mental Illness?
We’re learning so much about mental illness, let’s see if we can apply it to our daily lives. Some of the symptoms of mental illness make it difficult for people to function, even in seemingly simple settings. We’ve learned that a person with Asperger’s has a difficult time functioning in social groups, so what does that mean if they are asked to teach Elder’s Quorum? Or are sitting at the conference table with you at work?
We’ve learned that dementia can creep up on a person slowly, and that people can try and hide their deficiencies or deny that their memory is failing. What if you’re in a presidency with someone whose memory is beginning to fail?
We’ve heard from several people that home and visiting teachers are a welcome support for those who suffer from mental illness. So what would you do if you were assigned to visit someone with a mental illness? How do you find out the necessary information to help them, while not offending or being insensitive?
In short, how do we more fully embrace and involve our brothers and sisters who have mental illnesses?
The Entire Series
- Forum – Is Mental Illness a Latter Day Plague?
- Resources (research)
- Resources for Help with Mental Illness by Paul
- Understanding PTSD by Robin Grosland
- Anxiety Disorders, Including PTSD (research)
- The Diagnosis by anonymous
- Understanding Asperger’s by Kathy Ward
- Understanding Dementia by Cassandra Jones
- Different Issues for Children (research)
- Asperger’s and Autism (research)
- Simply Depression by Jendoop
- How to Help Someone Who is Depressed: an LDS perspective by Sarah Hancock
- Forum - Does Committing Suicide Consign Someone to Hell?
- The Well of Depression by Cheryl
- Panic, OCD, Grandma and Me by NotMolly
- Understanding Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia, and OCD by Robison Wells
- Free at Last by anonymous
- Forum - No One Wants to Hear They’re Wrong
- Understanding P0rnography Addiction by Dr. Kevin Skinner
- What is Real? Living Without Diagnosis by anonymous
- A Reader’s Story of Hope by anonymous
- Understanding Bipolar II Disorder by Tresa Edmunds (Reese Dixon)
- What is Bipolar Disorder? (research)
- Choosing Treatment through Revelation by Bonnie
- Overcoming Anxiety and Depression Without Medication by Aaron Anderson
- How Do We Embrace Those with Mental Illness by Jendoop
- What is Schizophrenia? (research)
- Understanding Schizophrenia by Judy Hall
- Understanding a Roommate with Schizophrenia by anonymous
- Understanding Borderline Personality Disorder by Melissa Horsley
- My Path Down the Rabbit Hole by anonymous
- Mental Illness FHE Lesson by Jendoop
- Healing by Michelle